About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment every other Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every other Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Chorizo, Mushroom, and Onion Queso
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 8 to 10|
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Sauced: 6 Cheese Dips for Your Super Bowl Party|
- 12 ounces Oaxacan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 pound fresh Mexican chorizo, removed from casings if stuffed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 ounces shiitake or cremini mushrooms, scrubbed clean and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 10 ounces evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon zest from 1 lime
- Kosher salt
Place cheese in a medium bowl and toss with cornstarch until evenly coated. Set aside.
Place chorizo in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Add in onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions have softened and mushrooms have reduces in size, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in evaporated milk, scraping bottom of pan to release any fond, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add in cheese. Stir constantly until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in cilantro and lime zest. Season with salt to taste. Transfer to a bowl and serve immediately.