Nachos topped with chipotle-spiced ground chicken, pinto beans, and gobs of melty cheese make for a hearty party snack or an easy weeknight meal.
- Yield:serves 6 to 8 as an appetizer or snack
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:35 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chipotle powder, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto or black beans), drained
- 10 ounce bag tortilla chips
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup pickled jalapeños, divided
- 12 ounces cheddar, Colby, or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat until simmering. Add chicken, chili, cumin, oregano, 1 teaspoon chipotle powder, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until chicken is just cooked through, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth and bring to simmer. Season to taste and remove from heat.
Lightly mash pinto beans with remaining 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder. Spread 3/4 of the chips in a 13- by 9-inch baking dish. Spoon bean mixture over chips, followed by the chicken and 1/3 cup of the jalapeños. Sprinkle 3/4 of the cheese over the top.
Place remaining chips on top and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Bake until nachos are hot and cheese has melted, about 20 minutes. Scatter tomatoes, avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and remaining jalapeños over the top. Serve immediately.