This recipe appears in:From the Juicer: Buffalo Green Juice
Savory and spicy may not be the first characteristics you'd expect in a juice, but once you try this combination you may not be able to kick the habit. Luckily a green juice habit is both a smart and a stylish accessory to tote into the new year.
Juice the ingredients in the order listed to maximize yield. Finishing with a very juicy ingredient like celery helps to flush more stubborn ingredients like garlic through the juicer.
When juicing greens such as the kale in this recipe, you'll get a better yield if you tightly pack the greens (roll them up before adding to the feed tube of your juicer) and place them between two harder ingredients (such as the cucumber and carrot here). Nudge the greens through the juicer one small push at a time.
If your juicer has multiple speeds, use a slower speed for softer ingredients like the lemon.
Keep in mind that juicers vary a lot in terms of design and yield, so your mileage may vary.
About the author: Carolyn Cope is the voice behind the popular food and lifestyle blog Umami Girl, where she'll soon be releasing a free e-book filled with easy ways to incorporate more healthy, plant-based foods into your life. She is equal parts live-to-eat and eat-to-live and currently does both from London.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh cucumber juice from about 1 medium cucumber
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) fresh kale juice from about 4 medium leaves kale
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) fresh carrot juice from about 1 large carrot
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic juice from about 2 medium cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) fresh lemon juice from about 1 medium lemon, peel and pith removed
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) fresh celery juice from about 3 medium celery stalks
- Frank's Red Hot or other favorite vinegary hot sauce, to taste
Stir juices and hot sauce together thoroughly, divide between two glasses, and serve immediately.