Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 6 to 8
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 6 ounces bacon, cooked until crisp, crumbled, plus 1 tablespoon reserved bacon fat
- 6 ounces freshly grated cheddar cheese
- 6 scallions, whites and light greens only, thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Maple syrup
Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and whisk until homogenous. Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, and bacon fat in a medium bowl. Pour wet ingredients into dry and mix until just combined and no pockets of dry flour remain. Fold in bacon, cheese, and scallions.
Preheat a Belgian waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Spray waffle iron with non-stick cooking spray and cook waffle batter according to manufacturer's instructions, using about 1 cup of batter per waffle. Serve as they're ready with maple syrup, or keep warm on a rack in a 200°F oven while you prepare the remaining waffles.