About the author: Jennifer Olvera is a veteran food and travel writer and author of "Food Lovers' Guide to Chicago." Follow her on Twitter @olverajennifer.
- Yield:Serves 6
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup minced Peppadew or roasted red peppers
- 1 pound elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 14-ounces Merkts sharp cheddar cold-pack cheese spread
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat oil over medium heat in a medium stockpot. When it’s shimmering, add garlic and sauté until tender, stirring often so it doesn’t burn, 3 to 4 minutes total.
Add peppers, cooked macaroni and butter and let butter melt. Add Merkts, stirring until it melts and forms a loose, cheesy sauce. Add shredded cheddar and milk and continue stirring until it comes together as an appropriately thick, cheesy dish. Season with about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Stir to combine and serve immediately.