Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Seared Scallops With Indian Spinach
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Dinner Tonight: Seared Scallops With Indian Spinach|
- 4 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled, minced (about 2 tablepoons)
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 teaspoons garam masala, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to season scallops
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 12 large scallops
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
Heat 2 tablespoons of canola oil in a medium-saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add cumin seeds and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until they start to change color, about 15 seconds. Add red onion, ginger, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to brown, about 7 minutes. Stir in the cayenne, 2 teaspoons garam masala, turmeric, and salt, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add a handful of spinach leaves and stir until wilted and bright green. Continue adding a handful at a time until all the spinach has been added. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until spinach releases its liquid to form a sauce, 5 to 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, dry the scallops on paper towels and season both sides with salt and pepper. Heat remaining two tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. When shimmering, add the scallops and cook until golden brown on the bottom, about three minutes. Flip each and cook until brown on the other sides, about 2 minutes. When done, set scallops aside on a plate.
Turn off the heat for the spinach, and stir in the remaining teaspoon of garam masala and then heavy cream. Divide spinach mixture between four plates. Top each with 3 scallops. Serve immediately.