About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup juice and 1 tablespoon zest from 1 navel orange, plus 1/2 cup segments from an additional orange
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- Pinch of dried red chili flakes
- Pinch of ground coriander
- Pinch of ground cumin
- 1 (10-oz) box of couscous
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta, preferably Bulgarian
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems, roughly chopped
Season the chicken with salt, pepper and orange zest. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chicken breasts and cook until browned on on first side, about 5 minutes, reducing heat as necessary if smoking excessively. Flip and continue cooking until browned on second side, about 4 minutes longer. Add half of the orange juice and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, about 1 minute longer. Transfer to a large plate and set aside. Wipe out skillet.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to now-empty skillet and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the shallots, a pinch of salt, the chili flakes, coriander and cumin. Cook, stirring and scraping any browned bits from bottom of pan until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and add the couscous and cover for about five minutes, then fluff thoroughly with a fork.
Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Add the shredded chicken to the couscous and toss together to combine. Mix in the remaining half of the orange juice, sliced almonds, feta, and raisins. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro