- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces or 115 grams) unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 3/4 ounces or 80 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5 ounces or 140 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar, for sprinkling on top
Place an oven rack in the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Lightly butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
In a large bowl, stir the butter, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Stir in the flour until combined.
Press the dough into the bottom of the tart pan (don’t go up the sides). Sprinkle the top with the turbinado sugar. Using a fork, poke the dough several times.
Bake until a deep and uniform golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove the pan from the oven. With the shortbread still in the pan, use a pizza cutter to cut into 12 wedges. Then use a small paring knife to finish cutting the slices to the edge of the pan (if the pizza cutter doesn’t reach).
Allow the shortbread to cool completely in the pan, then remove the sides of the tart pan and use a metal spatula to release the cookies.
If a crisp cookie has gotten a little stale, a brief toasting in the oven will restore much of its crunchiness.