- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:30 minutes
- 4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices), sliced thinly
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 Serrano pepper, stemmed seeded, chopped (about 2 tablespoons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 scallions, green parts only, thinly sliced
Cook bacon in a large dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove pieces with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
Add onion, red bell pepper, and serrano, and cook until onion is soft and starting to take on some color, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and few cracks of black pepper. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in rice and cook until most of the grains turn chalky white, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add black beans, chicken broth, apple cider vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce and stir well. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and cook until the rice is completely cooked, stirring after 10 minutes or so, 15 to 20 minutes total. Garnish with sliced green scallions and the cooked bacon.