Slices of avocado would also go nicely on top of the tacos as they'd balance out the heat from the Sriracha and chilies and add more creaminess to the dish.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Easy Skillet Turkey and Squash Tacos With Sriracha
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||One-Pot Wonders: Turkey and Squash Tacos With Sriracha|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 small red onions, finely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 medium cloves minced garlic (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- ½ tablespoon ground cocoa
- 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 2 limes
- Warmed corn tortillas
- 3 scallions, light green and white parts only
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves and fine stems
- Sriracha or salsa for serving
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the squash, season with salt and pepper, and cook, tossing occasionally, until softened and starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Push to the sides and add the onion in the middle with a pinch of salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and spices and stir together until fragrant, 30 seconds more.
Quickly stir in the chipotle peppers and peanut butter and stir to combine. Add the ground turkey and cook until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the chocolate and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Serve with warm tortillas, scallions, cilantro, sriracha and more lime wedges as desired.