This recipe appears in:Zuke's 'Diet' Salad From 'The Artisan Jewish Deli at Home'
Reprinted with permission from The Artisan Jewish Deli at Home by Nick Zukin and Michael Zusman. Copyright 2013. Published by Andrews McMeel. All rights reserved. Available wherever books are sold.
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (2- to 3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large red onion (about 12 ounces), halved and thinly sliced
Combine the onion, vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, crushed red pepper, if using, peppercorns, cloves, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil for 1 minute. Add the onions and then remove the pan from the heat. Allow the onions and pickling brine to cool to room temperature, and then transfer to a nonreactive container with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 day to allow the flavors to meld. The pickled red onions will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.