Note: For the smoked salmon, any smoked salmon will do, including scraps and ends.
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:25 minutes
- 2 pounds fingerling or new potatoes, preferably a red or yellow waxy variety, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 cup sour cream or crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
- 3 ounces smoked salmon (see note above), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, tarragon, or scallions
- Freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot, cover potatoes with water by 1 inch and season heavily with salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to a simmer, and cook until potatoes are easily pierced with a wooden skewer or the tip of a paring knife, about 15 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sour cream lemon juice, chopped salmon, and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
When potatoes have cooled slightly but are still warm, add to bowl and toss to combine and coat with dressing. Serve. Salad can be kept in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Serve cold or allow to come to room temperature.