Heaped with creamy black bean spread, salty white cheese, and creamy avocados, these sandwiches are dead-easy to prepare at home: in the time it would take you to head out to your favorite Mexican joint and order a torta, you could make five of them from the comfort of your own home.
Loaded Vegetarian Tortas With Avocados, Queso Oaxaca, Black Beans, and Pickled Jalapeño
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Makes 4 sandwiches|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Vegetarian: Loaded Tortas With Avocados, Queso Oaxaca, Black Beans and Pickled Jalapeños|
- 3 jalapeños, thinly sliced into rounds
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- One large (25 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus additional for spreading sandwiches
- 4 soft round rolls
- 1 pound queso Oaxaca (Mexican string cheese), thinly sliced
- 2 ripe avocados, thinly sliced
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 lime
- 1/2 cup picked fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
Place sliced jalapeños in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, combine water, vinegar, salt, and sugar and bring to a boil over high heat. Pour pickling solution over jalapeños and cover bowl with a plate; let cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, place beans in a medium mixing bowl and add cumin, mayonnaise and kosher salt to taste. Mash with a potato masher until beans come together as a spread but remain chunky.
Cut rolls in half. Divide black bean spread among bottom 4 halves of rolls (you may have extra spread), then layer cheese over black beans, dividing evenly between the 4 sandwiches. Top each sandwich with 1/2 a sliced avocado, then add a few jalapeño slices to each sandwich. Top each sandwich with a layer of shredded lettuce and a few cilantro leaves; spritz each sandwich with lime juice. Spread tops of rolls with mayonnaise, place on top of each sandwich, press down gently, and slice in half. Serve immediately.