Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 20 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 2 (15.5 ounce) cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 eggs
Heat butter in a medium non-stick skillet over medium high heat until melted. Add onions and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add beans, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid is reduced, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.
While beans cook, heat olive oil in a non-stick skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add eggs, season with salt and pepper, and cook until whites are set but yolks are still runny. Divide toast between 4 plates, the top with beans (or place on the side) then top beans with eggs.