Note: If you're a chili-head like me, you can go for the whole can of chipotles, but as it is, it's still got some kick. Use vegan cheese to make this dish 100% vegan.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Vegan Black Bean and Squash Chili
About This Recipe
|Active time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||One-Pot Wonders: Vegan Black Bean and Squash Chili|
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 yellow and 1 orange bell pepper, roughly chopped (about 1 cup each)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or grated with a microplane grater
- 3 1/2 ounces (1/2 small can) chipotle chilies in adobo
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup shredded vegan ore regular cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for serving (see note above)
- 1 ripe hass avocado, diced
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and peppers, stirring and cooking until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano and garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the chipotle peppers, stock, and beans and cook until the squash has finished cooking, about 10 minutes. Mash the beans gently with a wooden spoon against the side of the pot to thicken, then season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with scallions, grated cheese, and avocado.