This recipe appears in:One-Pot Wonders: Vegan Black Bean and Squash Chili
Note: If you're a chili-head like me, you can go for the whole can of chipotles, but as it is, it's still got some kick. Use vegan cheese to make this dish 100% vegan.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 yellow and 1 orange bell pepper, roughly chopped (about 1 cup each)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced or grated with a microplane grater
- 3 1/2 ounces (1/2 small can) chipotle chilies in adobo
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only
- 1 cup shredded vegan ore regular cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese for serving (see note above)
- 1 ripe hass avocado, diced
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the butternut squash and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the onion and peppers, stirring and cooking until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, oregano and garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
Add the chipotle peppers, stock, and beans and cook until the squash has finished cooking, about 10 minutes. Mash the beans gently with a wooden spoon against the side of the pot to thicken, then season with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and serve with scallions, grated cheese, and avocado.