Note: Broccoli rabe and pork can be cooked in advance and stored in sealed, refrigerated containers for up to 3 days. Reheat pork in the microwave or in a pot on the stovetop before constructing sandwiches.
- Yield:Serves 8 to 12
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:9 hours
- 1 whole bone-in, skin-on pork shoulder, 8 to 12 pounds total
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, tough stems trimmed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 anchovy filets, mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to taste, divided
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 36 slider-sized soft rolls, such as Martin's Party-Sized Potato Rolls, split in half and toasted lightly
- 18 slices sharp Provolone cheese
- 1 quart store-bought or homemade pickled cherry peppers
Cook pork according to our Ultra-Crispy Slow-Cooked Pork Recipe.
While pork cooks, bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add broccoli rabe and cook, stirring occasionally, until bright green but still crunchy, about 2 minutes. Remove broccoli rabe and run under cool water to chill. Spin in a salad spinner to dry. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic, anchovies, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broccoli rabe and stir to coat with oil. Continue cooking until broccoli rabe is fully tender, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and set aside or refrigerate until ready to construct sandwiches.
When pork is cooked, remove skin (if present) and chop into fine pieces. Shred meat from bones and discard bones. Combine meat and skin in a large bowl, add vinegar, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes to taste, gently shredding meat with your fingers.
To serve: Preheat broiler to high. Place a dozen toasted bun bottoms on a rimmed baking sheet. Top with pulled pork, broccoli rabe, and a slice of cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Top with pickled pepper slices and top buns and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining buns and fillings.