Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 2
- Active time: 10 minutes prep, 15 minutes cooking
- Total time:25 minutes
- 1 cup cleaned and deveined shrimp
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (divided)
- 1/2 tablespoon grated ginger (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil/ vegetable oil
- 3 cloves
- 3 white cardamom pods
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon grated garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3 green chillies slit lengthwise
- 10 curry leaves
- 1 cup thin coconut milk
- Kosher salt
- 1 large tomato cut in thin rounds
- 1/2 cup thick coconut milk
- Cooked rice and poppodom for serving
Toss shrimp in a small bowl with 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon ginger and ground red pepper. Let rest 15 minutes.
Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium heat until shimmering. Add cloves, cardamom, and cinnamon and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add remaining ginger, garlic, onion and chilli and stir until fragrant and onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add curry leaves and stand back as they splutter. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add remaining turmeric powder to the oil, stir briskly, and immediately add the thin coconut milk and salt. Add tomato and allow to come to a gentle boil. Add the marinated shrimp and allow to cook just until opaque, about 5 minutes. Add the thick coconut milk and bring to a gentle boil, about 1 minute. Serve hot with white rice and poppadoms.