This cocktail, conceived by Audrey Saunders of Pegu Club in New York, is a tasty tipple for any fall festivity. Mix up a quart batch of this spicy-sweet sipper and forget about it while you enjoy your guests.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes 1 quart (about 8 servings)
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- For the Fresh Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh cranberries
- For the Cocktail:
- 1 cup Fresh Cranberry Sauce
- 3 1/2 ounces fresh orange juice (from about 4 oranges)
- 2 1/2 ounces pomegranate molasses
- 11 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 cups Laird's Applejack
- 1/2 cup Punt e Mes
- 1/2 cup Schonauer Apfel Apple Schnapps
Combine the sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil. Add cranberries, return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Allow the sauce to cool 15 minutes before using. Leftover cranberry sauce can be refrigerated up to 1 week.
Measure cranberry sauce, orange juice, pomegranate molasses, and bitters into a quart-sized pitcher. Add applejack, Punt e Mes, and apple schnapps. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Serve immediately or refrigerate up to four hours.
To serve, pour 1 cup of cocktail mixture into a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake for 15 seconds, then strain evenly into two cocktail glasses. Repeat as needed.