Note: Skirt steak is an excellent cut for grilling and often comes in long strips, which you'll have to cut into slabs so that it fits in the pan.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Easy Skillet Steak Tacos With Charred Corn and Sriracha
About This Recipe
|Active time:||25 minutes|
|Total time:||25 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||One-Pot Wonders: Steak Tacos With Charred Corn and Sriracha|
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds skirt steak, trimmed and cut into 4- to 5-inch sections
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ears of corn, removed from the cob (about 2 cups kernels)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1 tablespoon juice from 1 lime, plus extra lime wedges for serving
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
- Greek yogurt, for serving
- Sriracha, for serving
Combine cumin, coriander, chili powder, oregano, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper in a bowl. Rub aggressively into steak so that it is worked into all cracks and crevices.
Heat half of the oil in a 12-inch heavy bottomed cast iron or stainless steel skillet over high heat until lightly smoking. Add half steak without overlapping or crowding the pan and cook until well browned on first side, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until browned on second side and thickest part of steak registers 130°F on an instant-read thermometer, about 3 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate to rest. Repeat with the remaining oil and steak and then add to the plate.
Reduce heat to medium and add the corn. Cook without moving until well-charred, about 3 minutes. Stir, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet and keep cooking until well-charred on several sides, about 6 minutes total. Add the jalapeño, onion, and garlic and cook until softened, about 1 minute longer. Add lime juice and scrape any browned bits off bottom of pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper and reduce heat to low.
Spread the tortillas out over the mixture, overlapping as needed. Cover and cook until tortillas are softened and warm, about 1 minute. Meanwhile, slice steak thinly against the grain. Place tortillas on serving plates and top with the corn mixture. Top with steak, a dollop of yogurt, and a drizzle of sriracha as desired. Sprinkle with mint and serve immediately with lime wedges.