This recipe appears in:Breakfast Tacos with Charred Zucchini and Red Pepper
Breakfast tacos with soft scrambled eggs, charred zucchini, and red bell pepper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small zucchini, split in half lengthwise, and cut into 1/4-inch slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought salsa verde
- 4 soft flour or corn tortillas, warm
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Queso cotija or feta cheese, sour cream or Mexican crema, and lime wedges for serving
Heat oil in a medium non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add zucchini and bell pepper, shake to get it in a single layer, and cook without moving until well charred on first side, about 3 minutes. Toss vegetables and continue to cook, tossing occasionally, until well-charred on all sides, abut 3 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a bowl. Set aside and wipe out skillet.
Melt butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring constantly, until no longer watery but still moist, about 1 minute. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
Spread salsa over each tortilla and divide eggs evenly between them. Top with charred zucchini and red peppers. Serve immediately with avocado, crumbled cotija or feta cheese, sour cream or Mexican crema, and lime wedges.