This recipe appears in:One Pot Wonders: Easy Ratatouille with Chicken
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 4 chicken leg quarters (about 2 pounds total)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon picked fresh thyme leaves
- 1 small Italian eggplant, cut in 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, roughly crushed by hand
- 1/2 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Freshly grated parmesan for serving
Season chicken on all sides with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until lightly smoking. Add chicken skin-side down and cook without moving until well browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip and brown second side, about 5 minutes longer. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
In the same skillet over medium heat, add additional tablespoon of oil and heat until shimmering. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook until begin to soften and color, about 1 minute. Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add the eggplant, zucchini and summer squash and toss to combine with the onions. Add the tomatoes and stock and stir to combine. Nestle the chicken pieces into the sauce and adjust the heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has finished cooking through, 15 to 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with basil and grated parmesan, and serve.