Buttery and sweet with notes of toasted corn, these Cooking with Flowers cupcakes are topped with cream cheese frosting and chive blossoms.
Reprinted with permission by Miche Bacher. Copyright © 2013. Published by Quirk Books. Available wherever books are sold. All rights reserved.
- Yield:makes 12 cupcakes
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:3 hours, including soaking/baking
- 2 cups popped popcorn
- 2 cups milk
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Petals of 4 chive blossoms, plus more for topping, if desired
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Soak popcorn in milk for about 2 hours. (If you want to leave it longer, refrigerate it, but bring it back to room temperature before you use it.)
Strain popcorn through a fine-mesh strainer, pressing the soggy popcorn to get all the good stuff out. Discard the solids.
Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup cupcake or muffin pan with liners.
Put flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chive petals in the bowl of a mixer and mix briefly to combine. Add 11/4 cups of the strained popcorn milk and butter to flour mixture and beat for about 2 minutes on medium-low speed.
Drop egg yolks and vanilla into the remaining 3/4 cup strained popcorn milk and mix with a fork to break up yolks. Beat mixture into the batter a bit at a time, pausing occasionally to scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl.
Fill the muffin cups two-thirds with batter and slide the pan into the oven. Bake cupcakes for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.
For the frosting, beat cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla with a mixer on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, or until no lumps remain. Frost each cupcake and top with chive blossom petals, if desired. Serve the same day.