- Yield:makes one 9- by 9-inch cake
- Active time: 30 minutes (includes pitting cherries)
- Total time:1 hour
- 1 3/4 cups (about 8.75 ounces) all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest from about 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup pitted, halved cherries
Butter pan and preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and sugar until creamy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined. Beat in lemon zest.
Add 1/2 dry ingredients to bowl and beat to combine. Beat in milk then remaining dry ingredients. Stir in cherries.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean and top is golden, 30-40 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before turning out of pan.