This recipe appears in:Sauced: Basil and Parmesan Mayonnaise
About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you a new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 anchovy filets
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
Place egg yolk, basil, parmesan, anchovies, water, lemon juice, garlic, and mustard in the work bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse until basil is finely chopped and all ingredients are thoroughly combined.
With motor running, slowly drizzle in oils through feed tube. Season with salt to taste. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.