About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Skillet Chicken Fajitas with Avocado
About This Recipe
|Total time:||25 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Skillet Supper: Chicken Fajitas with Avocado|
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast (3 to 4 breast halves), cut into 2-inch-thick strips and then cut again into 2-3-inch pieces lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried oregano, divided
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 3 bell peppers, assorted colors, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 8 hot corn or flour tortillas
- Lime wedges
- Salsa or guacamole, as desired
In a mixing bowl, coat the chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper and ½ tablespoon oregano. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the oregano and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Lower the heat to medium, add the peppers, and cook, stirring, until they start to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
Move the peppers to the side, creating a large circle in the center of the dish and add the chicken, allowing it to brown and then cook through, stirring occasionally. Toss contents of pan together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately with jalapeños, cilantro, scallions, sliced avocado, hot tortillas, lime wedges, and salsa and guacamole if desired.