- Yield:Makes 1 loaf
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:1 hour 5 minutes
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 cups (about 15 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can of lager
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 350[°]. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Add onion and thyme to bacon fat and cook, stirring, until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
Add flour, baking powder, salt, and cheddar cheese and mix until all the ingredients are evenly incorporated. Crumble bacon and add to mixture.
Grease a loaf pan, then pour the beer over the flour mixture and mix until a dough forms. Place the dough in the greased loaf pan and place in the oven. Bake for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove from loaf pan, slice, and serve.