This recipe appears in:The Burger Lab: How To Make Surf & Turf Burgers (Bacon- and Lobster-Topped Burgers)
About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 1/2 pound cooked lobster meat, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, plus more for assembling
- 1 teaspoon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 20 ounces freshly ground beef, divided into four 5-ounce patties
- 4 toasted hamburger buns
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 leaves green leaf lettuce
- 8 slices crisply cooked bacon
Combine lobster, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and chives in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
When ready to serve, season burger patties generously with salt and pepper and cook burgers to desired doneness on a hot grill or in a skillet on the stovetop, 125°F for medium rare or 135°F for medium, topping with cheese for last minute of cooking. Let burger patties rest for 5 minutes off heat.
Top bottom buns with mayonnaise, tomato, and lettuce. Top with burger patty, then divide lobster salad mixture evenly between burgers. Top each burger with 2 slices bacon. Close burgers and serve immediately.