About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Halloumi and Vegetable Skewers
About This Recipe
|Yield:||Serves 6 to 8|
|Active time:||45 minutes|
|Total time:||45 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||A Vegetarian Grilling Wonder: Halloumi and Vegetable Kebabs How to Make Great Grilled Kebabs Serious Entertaining: A Vegetarian Cookout Grilling: Halloumi and Vegetable Skewers|
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon, plus 1 additional lemon cut into wedges for serving
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound halloumi cheese, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into into 1/2-inch rounds
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Wooden skewers, soaked in water for at least 30 minutes prior to use
- Tzatziki, for serving (optional)
- Pita, warmed, for serving (optional)
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
Whisk together oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and mint in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add cheese, zucchini, onion, and tomatoes, and toss to combine.
Alternatively thread cheese, zucchini, onion, and tomatoes on skewers.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill skewers over direct heat until cheese browns and zucchini has slightly softened, 3-5 minutes per side. Remove skewers from the grill to a serving platter. Squeeze lemon wedges over skewers and serve immediately with tzatziki and warm pita.