Fresh grilled pineapple pairs perfectly with mint and lime. Adjust the amount of sugar according to the sweetness of your pineapple.
- Yield:makes 4 servings
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:15 minutes
- 1/2 a small pineapple, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch thick planks
- 2 teaspoons neutral oil, such as canola
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 2 limes, cut into eighths
- 1 small bunch of mint, stems removed and discarded
- 8 ounces light rum
- 16 ounces seltzer, chilled
- Garnish: additional mint sprigs
Heat a grill to medium-high. Brush both sides of pineapple slices with oil and grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred at edges and fruit is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool to room temperature. Roughly chop fruit.
Divide pineapple, sugar, limes, and mint equally among four large glasses. Muddle until mint is mashed and fruit releases its juices. Add rum and muddle to incorporate, then fill glasses with ice. Divide seltzer between glasses, stir gently to mix. Garnish with mint sprigs.