This recipe appears in:The Burger Lab's Toppings Week 2013: Burgers with Creamy Feta Sauce and Tomato-Cucumber Relish
Big burgers with a creamy yogurt-feta sauce flavored with garlic and lemon, topped with a crunchy cucumber-tomato relish.
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cut into fine dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and cut into fine dice (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 20 ounces freshly ground beef, divided into four 5-ounce patties
- Sliced white or sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 4 toasted hamburger buns
Combine cucumber and tomato in a colander or fine mesh strainer set in the sink or a bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Let drain at least 15 minutes. Discard liquid and transfer to a small bowl. Toss with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and season with pepper. Set aside.
While tomatoes drain, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, feta, garlic, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Season to taste with salt.
When ready to serve, season burger patties generously with salt and pepper and cook burgers to desired doneness on a hot grill or in a skillet on the stovetop, 125°F for medium rare or 135°F for medium.
Place onion slices on bottom bun. Top with burger patty. Top with sauce and cucumber/tomato relish. Close burgers and serve immediately.