About the author: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt is the Chief Creative Officer of Serious Eats where he likes to explore the science of home cooking in his weekly column The Food Lab. You can follow him at @thefoodlab on Twitter, or at The Food Lab on Facebook.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Burgers with Creamy Feta Sauce and Tomato-Cucumber Relish
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||The Burger Lab's Toppings Week 2013: Burgers with Creamy Feta Sauce and Tomato-Cucumber Relish|
- 1 small cucumber, seeded and cut into fine dice (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and cut into fine dice (about 1 cup)
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek-style yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely crumbled feta cheese
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 20 ounces freshly ground beef, divided into four 5-ounce patties
- Sliced white or sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 4 toasted hamburger buns
Combine cucumber and tomato in a colander or fine mesh strainer set in the sink or a bowl. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss to combine. Let drain at least 15 minutes. Discard liquid and transfer to a small bowl. Toss with 1 teaspoon lemon juice and season with pepper. Set aside.
While tomatoes drain, combine yogurt, mayonnaise, feta, garlic, remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Season to taste with salt.
When ready to serve, season burger patties generously with salt and pepper and cook burgers to desired doneness on a hot grill or in a skillet on the stovetop, 125°F for medium rare or 135°F for medium.
Place onion slices on bottom bun. Top with burger patty. Top with sauce and cucumber/tomato relish. Close burgers and serve immediately.