- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 40 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 1 pound russet potatoes, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 3/4 pounds beets, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Small bunch chives, finely chopped
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 200°F. Place grated potato in the center of a clean towel. Twist towel over sink to wring out excess moisture from potatoes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add beets and season with salt and pepper.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a 10- inch non-stick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering, add 1/4 of the potato and beet mixture to the skillet. Using a rubber spatula, press into the bottom of the pan and cook until edges begin to look brown, about 5 minutes. Carefully slide hash onto a plate then place another plate on top. Flip plates over, then slide hash back into pan and continue to cook until completely crisp, about 6 minutes longer. Transfer to a large plate and keep warm in a oven. Repeat with remaining fat and potato and beet mixture. Serve hash topped with Greek yogurt or sour cream and chives.