This recipe appears in:Sauced: Tricolor Sweet Pepper Relish
About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 4 cups water
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into 1/8-inch dice
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Removed from heat, add in diced peppers and let steep for 5 minutes. Strain peppers through fine mesh strainer.
Add in vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, salt, and celery seeds into now empty saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Add peppers and simmer, stirring occasionally, until little liquid remains, 15-20 minutes. Transfer relish to a jar, let cool slightly, then cover and place in refrigerator until completely chilled. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.