Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Dinner Tonight: Sweet Potato and Spinach Curry|
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large sweet potato about (about 1 1/2 pounds) peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound spinach, ends trimmed, leaves rinsed, and roughly chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add cumin seeds, and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds. Stir in onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add cayenne, paprika, cardamom, cinnamon, and salt, and stir until combined. Add sweet potatoes, and stir until they are evenly coated in the spice mixture. Add water, and stir to dislodge any browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover skillet, and cook until sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes.
Remove cover from skillet and increase heat to medium. Stir frequently until sauce thickens. Some cubes will break down into the sauce. Add a handful of spinach leaves, and stir until wilted. Repeat process until all of the spinach is added.
Season with more salt if necessary. Serve with white rice.