- 1 whole chicken, halved
- 1/4 cup your favorite barbecue rub
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery (about 2 medium stalks)
- 1/3 cup finely sliced scallions (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 fist-sized chunk of light smoking wood, such as apple or cherry
- Type of fire: Indirect
- Grill heat: Low
Rub chicken all over with barbecue rub. Fire up smoker or grill to 225°F, adding chunks of smoking wood when at temperature. When wood is ignited and producing smoke, place chicken in smoker or grill, skin side up. Smoke until an instant read thermometer reads 160°F when inserted into thickest part of thigh, 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Remove from smoker and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
While chicken is cooling, mix together mayonnaise, celery, scallions, lemon juice, vinegar, celery seeds, and paprika in a small bowl to make the dressing.
Pull meat from bones and roughly chop. Place meat in a large bowl and pour in dressing. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 days.