- Yield:makes about 2 1/2 cups
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) jar piquillo or roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon Sherry vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Spanish smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot paprika
- Kosher salt, to taste
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Stir in tomatoes, peppers, vinegar, smoked paprika, and hot paprika. Cook until warmed through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Using a immersion blender, or transferring to regular blender, puree sauce until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and let sit for at least 30 minutes prior to use. Store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 5 days.