About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Grilled Cheese Tacos
About This Recipe
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||30 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||5 Delicious Cheeses You Should Throw on the Grill Grilling: Grilled Cheese Tacos|
- For the Pico de Gallo
- 3/4 cup diced roma tomatoes (about 2 medium)
- 1/3 cup finely diced white onion (about 1/2 a small onion)
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely diced seeded jalapeño (about 1 small)
- 2 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 12oz grilling cheese, cut into 8 1/2-inch slices
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
To make the pico de gallo: place tomatoes, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and garlic in a medium boss and stir to combine. Season with salt to taste; set aside.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill cheese slices until browned on first side, about 1 minute. Carefully flip cheese using a thin metal spatula. Grill until browned on second side, about 1 minute more. Transfer to a tray and sprinkle with salt to taste.
Toast tortillas on grill until warm pliable, about 30 seconds. Remove from grill and place slices of grilled cheese in tortilla. Top with avocado slices and pico de gallo. Serve immediately.