Thai Chicken Satay
About the author: Joshua Bousel brings you new, tasty condiment each Wednesday and a recipe for weekend grilling every Friday. He also writes about grilling and barbecue on his blog The Meatwave whenever he can be pulled away from his grill.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Thai Chicken Satay
About This Recipe
|Yield:||serves 4 to 6 as an appitizer|
|Active time:||30 minutes|
|Total time:||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Special equipment:||Blender, Grill|
|This recipe appears in:||Grilling: Thai Chicken Satay|
- 1 stalk lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice from 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, sliced into 1/2-inch strips lengthwise
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use
- 1 recipe Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Type of fire: Direct
- Grill heat: medium-high
Place lemongrass, oil, fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, soy sauce, turmeric, garlic, coriander, and Sriracha in jar of a blender and blend on high speed until smooth, about 30 seconds, scraping down sides as necessary.
Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag and pour in marinade. Place in refrigerator and marinate 1 to 2 hours, turning bag occasionally to marinate evenly.
Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto wooden skewers.
Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over entire surface of coal grate. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate. Grill chicken until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes, then serve immediately with Spicy Peanut Sauce