This recipe appears in:British Bites: Scotch Woodcock (Creamy Scrambled Eggs on Toast with Anchovies)
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon butter
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper
- 8 slices bread (crust removed if desired), toasted
- 12 anchovies, sliced in half
- Sliced chives, to garnish
Whisk together eggs and cream. Heat butter in a large non stick skillet over medium low heat. Once butter has melted, add the eggs and turn the heat to low. Using a rubber spatula, constantly stir the eggs until they have just set. They should have a loose, custardy texture. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Divide eggs between toast, then top each piece with three pieces of anchovy. Garnish with chives if desired and serve immediately.