A carrot and mascarpone pie flavored with vanilla, pressed into a tender cream cheese crust.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:makes one 9-inch pie
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:3 hours 10 minutes
- For the Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups (7 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces cream cheese (chilled, cubed)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (chilled, cubed)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- For the Filling:
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped (seeds reserved, pod discarded)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
For the Crust: Pulse flour, salt, and baking powder in food processor until combined, about 10 short pulses. Add cream cheese and pulse until coarsely incorporated, about 8 short pulses. Add butter cubes and pulse until dough forms pea-sized balls, about 8 short pulses. Add cream, vanilla, and vinegar and continue to pulse until dough pulls away from sides, 8 to 12 short pulses. Transfer dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap and shape into a 1/4-inch thick disc. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to three days hours. Remove from refrigerator and press into a 9-inch pie plate, using fingertips to form an even layer.
For the Filling: Steam or simmer carrot pieces until completely tender, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a food processor or blender and blend until completely smooth, adding just as much water as necessary to allow it to process smoothly.
Adjust oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F. Using a handheld mixer and a large bowl or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat carrot puree and sugar on medium speed until blended. Add eggs one at a time until each is incorporated. Add vanilla seeds, cinnamon, and mascarpone, mixing until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake until pie is set in the middle and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Slice and serve.