Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4 to 6 (makes 3 pices)
- Active time: 45 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes plus time to make dough and allow to rise
- 8 ounces maitake mushrooms, trimmed and broken into individual pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Basic New York Pizza Dough, divided and risen at least 2 hours, or 3 (12-ounce) balls store-bought pizza dough, risen at least two hours
- 1 recipe New York Pizza Sauce
- 1 pound grated full-fat dry mozzarella cheese (about 4 cups)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar kimchi, drained and roughly chopped
- 9 ounces thinly sliced hot soppressata or pepperoni
- 12 scallions, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger grated on the large holes of a box grater
At least 45 minutes before baking, place a baking stone or steel on an oven rack set to the top position and preheat oven to 550°F. Toss mushrooms in a medium bowl with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Turn single dough ball out onto lightly flour surface. Gently press out dough into rough 8-inch circle, leaving outer 1-inch higher than the rest. Gently stretch dough by draping over knuckles into a 12 to 14-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer to pizza peel.
Spread approximately 2/3 cup of sauce evenly over surface of crust, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch border along edge. Evenly spread 1/3 of mozzarella over sauce. Top with 1/3 of kimchi, 1/3 of soppressata, 1/3 of mushrooms, 1/3 of scallions, and 1/3 of grated ginger. Slide pizza onto stone or steel and bake until cheese is melted, coppa has started to crisp, and crust underbelly is spotty brown, 6 to 12 minutes total. Remove from oven with metal pizza peel, sprinkle with 1 ounce Parmesan, transfer to cutting board, slice, and serve. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with remaining ingredients to make 2 additional pizzas.