About the author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Easy Artisan Bread. You can also watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. She presently lives in Singapore working on her new baking cookbook, and as a recipe developer for HungryGoWhere Singapore. Check out her blog, shophousecook.com, or follow her on Twitter @yvonneruperti.
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:serves 4
- Active time: 30 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 8 ounces glass (bean thread) noodles
- 12 ounces ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons Shaoxing wine, divided
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated, divided
- Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems chopped, leaves chopped, divided (about 1 cup chopped leaves)
- 6 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 2 green bird chilies, seeded and minced (about 2 teaspoons)
- 10 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced thin
- 5 ounces oyster mushrooms (or wood ear fungus), sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bunch green onions, cut into 2-inch lengths
In large bowl, soak noodles in warm water for at least 30 minutes. When softened, cut noodles into 4 to 5-inch lengths. In small bowl, toss chicken with 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine, 1/2 teaspoon of grated ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; set aside.
In large wok or 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 4 tablespoons oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add remaining grated ginger, cilantro stems, garlic, chilies, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until beginning to turn golden, about 2 minutes.
Add shiitake mushrooms and cook until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes, adding another tablespoon oil if mixture is too dry. Add chicken and cook until almost cooked through, about 2 minutes. Stir in oyster mushrooms and celery. Cook for one minute.
Stir in soy sauce, white pepper, chili flakes, remaining 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine, and chicken broth. Bring to simmer. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in noodles and green onions and cook, stirring, until mixture is well combined and noodles are cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in cilantro leaves, season to taste, and serve.