Cookie bars chock full of chocolate chips, nuts, and white chocolate chips.
About the Author: Yvonne Ruperti is a food writer, recipe developer, former bakery owner, and author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Easy Artisan Bread. You can also watch her culinary stylings on the America's Test Kitchen television show. She presently lives in Singapore working on her new baking cookbook, and as a recipe developer for HungryGoWhere Singapore. Check out her blog: shophousecook.com . Follow Yvonne on Twitter.
- Yield:makes 12 bars
- Active time: 10 minutes
- Total time:1 hour
- 10 tablespoons (5 ounces) unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup (7 ounces) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (5 ounces) plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (3/4 ounce) plus 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cherries, optional
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9- by 9-inch baking pan.
In large bowl, stir butter with sugar and salt until creamy. Stir in egg and vanilla.
Add flour, cocoa, and baking soda to bowl and stir to combine. Stir in 1/2 white chocolate chips, bittersweet chocolate chocolate chips, nuts, and cherries (if using).
Spread into pan and smooth top. Bake until center is just set, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan 30 minutes. Cut into squares.