This recipe appears in:Sandwiched: Anchovy, Basil, and Tomato Sandwiches with Aioli
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- For the Aïoli:
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons freshly juice from 1 lemon
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 medium garlic clove, finely minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For the Sandwiches:
- 4 slices rustic Italian bread
- 8 to 10 fresh basil leaves
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 to 10 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
To make the aioli, whisk together the egg yolk, lemon juice, salt, and garlic in a medium bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in the oil in a slow, steady stream until all oil is used and sauce is thick. Set aside.
Spread the aioli on one side of each of the bread slices. Evenly divide the basil leaves amongst two of the bread slices, then layer the tomato slices on top of the basil. Season the tomatoes with the salt and black pepper. Evenly divide the anchovy fillets and lay them on top of the tomatoes. Evenly divide the capers between the two sandwiches, then top each sandwich with the remaining bread slices. Serve immediately.