This drink offers all of the well-loved elements of an Old Fashioned plus the depth and earthiness of a Pu-erh tea infused bourbon.
There's no need to choose your best bourbon here, but it needs to be one that you can enjoy neat. I love Four Roses Yellow Label for this sort of drink.
- Yield:1 cocktail, enough pu-erh infused bourbon for 4 cocktails
- Active time: 5 minutes
- Total time:2 hours 5 minutes
- For the Pu-erh infused Bourbon:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) bourbon
- 2 tablespoons loose leaf Pu-erh tea
- For the Pu-erh Old Fashioned:
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- A few drops water
- 2 ounces Pu-erh infused Bourbon
- Garnish: Lemon twist (optional)
For the Pu-erh infused Bourbon: Combine the tea and bourbon in a jar and cover the jar. Let steep at room temperature for 2 hours. Strain the tea leaves and discard. Store infused bourbon in a sealed jar.
For the Pu-erh Old Fashioned: Put the sugar in an old fashioned glass then add the bitters. Add just enough water to saturate the sugar and muddle the mixture until the sugar is dissolved. If you don't have a muddler, use the end of a wooden spoon handle. Add the bourbon and top with ice. Stir 10 seconds to chill and combine; garnish with lemon twist if desired.