Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Possible Additions (add up to 2 cups):
- 1/2 to 3/4 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella, Havarti, etc.)
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped bacon, ham, or hot dogs
- 1/2 to 1 cup leftover meat, shredded or chopped (shredded braised beef, chicken, steak, pork chops, etc.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pesto or leftover pasta sauce (marinara, alfredo, or Bolognese, etc.)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (parsley, thyme, oregano, chives, etc.)
- 1/2 to 1 cup frozen peas, spinach, or corn, thawed and drained
- 1/4 to 1 cup onions and/or garlic cooked in butter until just beginning to brown
Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat to 400°F.
In a large bowl combine milk and eggs and mix until combined. Place bread in the bowl and fold with a spatula until bread is coated, let stand 5 minutes to allow milk and egg mixture to saturate the bread. Fold in any additional ingredients. (If using fresh herbs, reserve 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top before serving). Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a baking dish. Bake until strata is puffed and edges begin to brown, about 30 minutes. Sprinkle with reserved herbs (if using) and serve immediately.