I learned this nine-minute, quinoa-cooking method from chef Katie Carey while she worked at Haven's Kitchen, a cooking school in lower Manhattan. She, in turn, read about it in Plenty, one of Yotam Ottolenghi's cookbooks, and it has "totally changed the way I think about cooking quinoa." I'd definitely have to agree. Simply cook the quinoa in boiling, well-salted water for exactly nine minutes. The result? Perfectly cooked quinoa every time. Seriously.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:20 minutes
- 4 (6-oz) skin-on salmon filets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola, vegetable, or light olive oil
- 2 cups water or homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup pre-washed or rinsed quinoa
- 1 ½ cups baby arugula
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed juice from 1 lemon
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Season the salmon with salt and pepper. Heat the canola oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add the salmon skin-side down and cook without moving until skin is crisp, 2-3 minutes. Carefully remove salmon with a thin metal fish spatula and set on a large plate skin-side-up.
In the same skillet, bring 2 cups of water to an active boil and generously season with salt. Add the quinoa and allow to cook for exactly 9 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium-low, stir in the arugula, scallion, feta and place the salmon back on top, skin-side up, cover and cook until the salmon is barely cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Portion out the quinoa and salmon and drizzle with fresh lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil. Serve immediately.