Note: This quick-cooking recipe is made with Moroccan-style seasonings and harissa paste stirred into the chickpea mixture to add a little kick and depth to the dish.
About the Author: Yasmin Fahr is a food lover, writer, and cook. Follow her @yasminfahr for more updates on her eating adventures and discoveries, which will most likely include tomatoes. And probably feta. Happy eating!
Every recipe we publish is tested, tasted, and Serious Eats-approved by our staff. Never miss a recipe again by following @SeriousRecipes on Twitter!
Skillet Lamb Chops with Harissa, Spinach and Chickpeas
About This Recipe
|Active time:||20 minutes|
|Total time:||20 minutes|
|This recipe appears in:||Skillet Suppers: Lamb Chops with Harissa, Spinach and Chickpeas|
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 lamb rib chops
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced (about 1/4 cup)
- ½ cup homemade or store-bought low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15-oz) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon harissa
- 3 cups packed fresh spinach leaves (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lemon, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1/2 cup fresh picked cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Extra-virgin olive oil for serving
In a mixing bowl, combine cumin, turmeric, paprika, cayenne, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Season the chops with the spice mix and set aside.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the chops and cook without moving for 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 130°F as registered on an instant-read thermometer, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Remove from pan and set aside on cutting board, tenting loosely with foil.
Return pan to medium heat without wiping it out. Add the shallots, cook until softened, about 1 minute, then add the stock, scraping up any brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add the chickpeas and harissa and stir to combine. Simmer for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and cook until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in lemon juice and half of cilantro off-heat. Transfer to serving plates, top with lamb chops, sprinkle with remaining cilantro, drizzle with olive oil, and serve immediately with lemon wedges.