- Yield:Serves 4
- Active time: 15 minutes
- Total time:40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic, finely chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup Puy lentils
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Red pepper flakes, to garnish
Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, curry, cinnamon, and dash of cayenne and cook stirring constantly until spices being to smell toasted, about 2 minutes. Add lentils and 3 cups water and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until liquid is almost all absorbed and lentils are tender, about 25 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and keep warm.
Poach eggs according to this method.
Divide lentils between four plates, top each one with a poached egg and garnish with chopped cilantro and a few red pepper flakes. Season eggs with salt and pepper and serve immediately.